Fort Collins Garage Fire Was Caused By Fireworks
Poudre Fire Authority (PFA) and Fort Collins Police Services (FCPS) determined that a July 6 garage fire was caused by used fireworks, according to a joint press release from PFA and FCPS.
The departments completed their investigation of the fire on July 25. After realizing the cause, they determined that the fire was accidental.
PFA and FCPS responders arrived at the fire on Bison Rd. around 9:30 p.m. on Saturday, July 6. Flames as high as 25-30 feet covered the property's garage.
Firefighters immediately began attacking the fire from the exterior in order to prevent it from spreading into the home. The UCHealth ambulance team treated one patient, who was later released. There were no injures resulting from the incident.
The fire caused about $150,000 in damages.
A PFA investigator explained in the press release: "The residual heat from the fireworks was enough to ignite nearby cardboard which led to the entire involvement of the garage."
Battalion Chief Jim Pietrangelo, who was on the scene, also warned that smoke from garage fires is especially toxic. For this reason, City Council made fireworks illegal in Fort Collins city limits in the 1970s.
The Poudre Fire Authority's Customer Assistance Response Team (CART) worked with the victims to help them in their recovery from the fire. After finding the residents a place to stay at Homewood Suites, CART connected them with resources including the Red Cross, car seats, and a restoration company.