Colorado Man Sets Storage Units on Fire With Fireworks
A Colorado man is facing charges after damaging several storage units by accidentally igniting fireworks that were in his possession.
The incident took place on Sunday, June 27th just after 11 a.m. at the Securecare Self Storage facility, which is located in Colorado Springs at 777 S. Academy Boulevard.
The man, who has yet to be identified, was allegedly in possession of a stash of fireworks that he kept in his storage unit at the facility and accidentally ignited some of them while working on something completely unrelated.
The blaze escalated so quickly that not only was the man's unit damaged by the fire, but seven other units were as well. Colorado Springs Fire Department spokesperson Captain Michael Smaldino explained why the blaze was able to spread so quickly to the other units that suffered fire damage:
The reason why eight units [were impacted] is because they all share common walls and there’s not fire stops between them.
In addition, the Colorado Springs Fire Department also reported that as many as 100 additional storage units may have suffered smoke damage due to the blaze.
Luckily, firefighters were able to get to the scene of the accident quickly and were able to extinguish the fire in less than 25 minutes.
However, it's reasonable to assume that many of the belongings stored in the facility were either lost or damaged, in addition to the units themselves.
Despite the fire being an accident, the man is still expected to be charged with arson and has been since taken into police custody.
All of the Pictures of the Pine Gulch Fire You Sent Us
2020 Cameron Peak Fire