Hard-Boiled Egg Products Recalled After Deadly Outbreak
The eggs from Almark Foods in Gainesville, Georgia are being recalled nationwide after a deadly listeria outbreak.
These eggs where used for hard-boiled egg products, including items like store bought egg salad.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported one death in Texas and sickness in at least seven people across five states.
Almark Foods has temporarily suspended Gainesville plant production.
Retail products were sold under more than 30 brand names and include pillow pack, pouch pack, frozen diced, and protein kit egg products, according to the CDC.
The egg products being recalled were sold to 7 Select, Almark Foods, Best Choice, CMI, Dairy Fresh, Deb-El, Egglands Best, Everyday Essentials, Farmers Hen House, Food Club, Fresh Thyme, Giant Eagle, Great Day, Great Value, Inspired Organics, Kirkland Signature, Kroger, LIDL, Lucerne, Members Mark, Naturally Better, Nellie's, O Organics, Peckish, Pete & Gerry's, Rainbow Farms, Rembrandt Foods, ShopRite, Simple Truth Organics, Sunshine, Vital Farms, and Wild Harvest.
Trader Joe's egg salad used the recalled eggs causing it to be recalled as well.
The CDC issued this alert:
- Do not eat any recalled hard-boiled egg products.
- If you have these products at home, don’t eat them. Throw them away or return them to the store, regardless of where you bought them.
- Wash and sanitize drawers or shelves in refrigerators and freezers where the products were stored. Follow these five steps to clean your refrigerator.
- If you have products in your home that were purchased from a store or restaurant that contain hard-boiled eggs:
- Ask the store or restaurant where they got their hard-boiled eggs and if they are sourced from the Almark Foods Gainesville, Georgia, facility. If they are sourced from that facility or don’t know where the eggs came from, don’t eat them.
- When in doubt, throw it out.
- If you buy products with hard-boiled eggs, or order or eat items with hard-boiled eggs at a restaurant:
- Before you buy, order, or eat, confirm with the store or restaurant that they do not use hard-boiled eggs produced by Almark Foods at its Gainesville facility.
- If they use hard-boiled eggs from this facility, don’t buy or order the product.
- If they don’t know where their hard-boiled eggs are from, don’t buy or order the product.
Listeriosis can cause different symptoms can include headache, stiff neck, confusion, loss of balance and convulsions in addition to fever and muscle aches. Listeriosis is treated with antibiotics.