Greeley Is Home to 2 of Colorado’s Worst COVID-19 Outbreaks
Greeley is home to two of Colorado's worst COVID-19 outbreaks.
According to The Denver Post, the city's JBS meatpacking plant is #3 in the the state in terms of coronavirus outbreaks, with 294 cases and seven deaths. The facility has seen one new case in the past week.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) recently hit JBS with a $15,615 fine for its handling of the virus.
The Weld County Jail in Greeley comes in at #8 in the state, with 77 cases, one death, and three new cases in the last week.
In May, a federal judge ordered the jail to improve its COVID-19 practices, after determining that the institution was violating inmates' rights by not properly protecting its at-risk population from the virus.
Currently, these are Colorado's 10 largest outbreaks:
- Sterling Correctional Facility - 618 cases, three deaths
- Van Cise-Simonet Detention Center in Denver - 582 cases, zero deaths
- JBS meatpacking plant - 294 cases, seven deaths
- Denver's homeless population - 156 cases, zero deaths
- Steven Roberts Original Desserts in Denver - 142 cases, one death
- Elms Haven Center in Thornton - 106 cases, 11 deaths
- Denver County Jail - 83 cases, zero deaths
- Weld County Jail - 77 cases, one death
- Jabil Healthcare in Monument - 68 cases, zero deaths
- Advantage Treatment Center in Sterling - 54 cases, zero deaths
5 Things That Are Getting Us Through This Pandemic