What’s the Most Beautiful Building in Colorado?
If someone asked you what the most beautiful building in Colorado is, what would your answer be?
The popular travel website, Thrillest, put together a list of what they determined to be the most visually appealing building in every state, based on overall design and factors such as having unique architecture or other artistic features. See if you can guess using the following clues – before scrolling down to see which place was chosen as Colorado's most beautiful building:
- It's located in Colorado Springs.
- This building became a National Historic Landmark in 2004.
- It features floor-to-(very-tall) ceiling stained-glass windows.
- 100 tetrahedrons and 17 spires are a part of the building's unique and striking architecture.
- Important ceremonies and services, such as weddings and funerals, frequently take place here.
If you guessed the United States Air Force Academy Cadet Chapel then you are correct, and quite a beauty it is! The distinct exterior design of the Chapel definitely catches people's attention, especially with the foothills serving as a gorgeous backdrop, and the colorful inside is filled with stained glass panels that beautifully diffuse light as it enters. Four different chapels take up space within the 150-foot-tall building: a 900-seat Protestant chapel, a 500-seat Catholic chapel, and a 100-seat Jewish chapel, and a Buddhist Chapel, each equipped with their own separate entrances. In 1996, the Cadet Chapel won the Twenty-five Year Award from the American Institute of Architects. Tours of this beautiful building are available by request.