Denver Ranks 12th for Most Six-Figure Jobs
According to data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the Denver metropolitan area ranks 12th among U.S. cities for six-figure occupations.
In a country where many places require at least a six-figure income to live comfortably, the median yearly income in the U.S. is $38,640. The good news is, Denver lands pretty high on the list of cities with jobs that pay at least $100,000 a year.
According to a study, general managers and operations managers as the most popular jobs that pay more than $100,000. Other abundant six-figure jobs include tech jobs and healthcare.
- Share of employment in six-figure occupations: 9.8%
- Percent change in six-figure employment (2015-2018): 18.0%
- Total employment in six-figure occupations: 141,650
- Median annual wage across all occupations: $45,420
- Most over-indexed six-figure occupation: Geoscientists, Except Hydrologists and Geographers
- Highest-paying six-figure occupations: Chief Executives; Athletes and Sports Competitors; Anesthesiologists; Family and General Practitioners; Obstetricians and Gynecologists; Surgeons
For reference, here are the statistics for the entire United States:
- Share of employment in six-figure occupations: 6.7%
- Percent change in six-figure employment (2015-2018): 84.6%
- Total employment in six-figure occupations: 9,705,350
- Median annual wage across all occupations: $38,640
- Most over-indexed six-figure occupation: N/A
- Highest-paying six-figure occupations: Surgeons
A six-figure income sounds nice, but only 7 percent of American workers are employed in jobs that pay $100,000 a year or more, so don't beat yourself up.
California has the highest number of employees making at least $100,000 a year, with Massachusetts and Maryland close behind.
Louisiana and Mississippi have the lowest amount of six-figure earners.